Manitou Springs Heritage Center Capital Building Fund Campaign
Be a part of it, Help us purchase our building !
Our Goal $200,000. We can do it with your help. **
Provided by CoolFundraisingIdeas.net
**Be A Part of Making This Happen.
Donate Now and help us collect, preserve, research, and interpret the history and culture of Manitou Springs and the Pikes Peak Region.
The addresses for properties along Manitou Avenue changed as the City grew and developed to the east. In 1915, The Manitou Garage owned by J. Robert and Lulu Tate was listed in the City Directory at 115 Manitou Avenue. There were a number of owners and business name changes in the ensuing years under this address. An advertisement from a 1929 guide by the Highway Publishing Company for Colorado, Wyoming and New Mexico shows a single story building at this site, extending to the intersection to the west. A circa 1940 photograph shows the building was still largely as it appeared in the 1920’s. The use was listed in the City Directory as an auto garage, with Standard Oil Gas Station #82 at the corner.
According to the El Paso County Assessor and the 1950 State Business Directory, the A&A Garage was listed at 115 Manitou Avenue in February 1950, by which time the second story had been added (as illustrated by the Assessor’s photo). The current address first appeared in 1951/52, when the A&A Garage was listed at 517 Manitou Avenue. It is believed the adjoining construction to the west may have been removed by 1949-50, when the ownership of this and the parcel at the corner (where the existing laundromat is located) were separated and an address for that property also first appeared.
Other uses of this building included light manufacturing by Adcom Transformers, Inc. (who rewound power distribution and specialty transformers) which operated here for approximately 30 years from the early 1970’s. A pottery studio was the last tenant before the Heritage Center opened the museum on August 26, 2009.
Except for changes to the entry and garage doors, the Heritage Center building has remained largely unchanged since 1950. Further research and documentation on our building’s history is ongoing so its full story can be told.